Many adults and seniors are happy to learn about these cheap dental insurance plans that cover 100% of the costs of all dental work.
As you get older, it becomes important to focus on your health and well-being. While dental health might not be the first thing that crosses your mind, it’s just as important as your overall health.
As such, you must not overlook dental insurance. Neglecting dental insurance or dental care alternatives due to their cost can result in costly dental issues that can affect your overall health and quality of life.
Dental Services Are Necessary
Seniors are more susceptible to dental issues, unlike young individuals. Although regular dental checkups can help prevent these issues and improve oral health, many seniors skip these services because of the cost.
Dental care can be costly especially if you pay out of pocket. But this does not mean you should neglect it. Failure to prioritize your oral health just to save money could lead to serious and expensive problems.
With age comes several changes to your oral health. This includes loss of taste, experiencing dry mouth, or getting more cavities than before. Usually this means seniors require more dental checkups and care than young people.
Postponing dental visits could result in several oral health problems such as tooth decay, gum diseases, oral cancer, rotting teeth, and the inability to chew and swallow food properly.
If these problems persist, you might need dental implants, bridges, or oral surgery. All these will cost you a lot of money. Even worse, these dental issues can other health conditions, like heart disease, cancer, Alzheimer’s disease, diabetes, and rheumatism.
With the increasing risk of chronic diseases in older age, it’s crucial to take care of your dental health, no matter the cost.
Does Medicare Cover Dental Work?
It’s a common misconception that Medicare offers coverage for dental services. That’s why most seniors get surprised when they discover their Medicare plans don’t cover these services.
That means they are responsible for the full cost of their dental care. Because of the high cost of dental services, most elders opt to skip their regular dental visits and care.
Yes, Medicare does not cover most dental care you require for healthy teeth, including but not limited to:
- Routine checkups
- Tooth extractions
- Dental plates
Medicare will only pay for dental services if they are needed as part of other medical services. Here are a few situations where this medical cover might come to your aid:
- Your health care provider needs a dental examination before heart valve replacement or kidney transfer.
- If you have an emergency or complicated dental work like a jaw injury or severe dental infection that needs hospitalization.
- You have a chronic illness or disease that requires a dental process that must be carried out in a hospital.
If you are thinking of using your Medicare plan to pay for regular dental visits, it means you’re not prepared to cover your dental costs. But, don’t worry! There are several dental insurance options that will cover your dental service at a reduced cost.
Dental Insurance Can Save You 100% of Dental Costs
Many seniors wonder whether dental insurance is worth the costs. While seniors will have to pay a premium, the right dental insurance can save them a significant amount on regular dental visits. In fact, many seniors learn that dental insurance can cover the full cost of their dentist visits.
Dental insurance plans provide 100% coverage for preventive services, 50% for basic dental work, and 20% for restorative work.
That typically means for a low premium cost, you can enjoy regular checkups, cleanings, and other preventive services for free.
For complex dental care, such as dental implants, root canals, and custom dentures, the insurance will cover a portion of the cost of the services. You only cover the remaining portion. In the long run, you still save money.
Whether you are on a budget or not, a dental insurance plan is still a smart financial decision.
The Most Affordable Dental Insurance Plans
Like health insurance, finding the right dental insurance plan can be overwhelming. This rings true, especially if it’s your first time.
Luckily, there are a variety of affordable dental plans, and most are designed for seniors. Many plans offer low monthly premiums, making them accessible to seniors on a budget or fixed income.
Examples of affordable dental plans that offer seniors comprehensive coverage at an affordable price include:
- Cigna Dental: For over 200 years, Cigna has offered people a range of health care plans. Besides, they provide top-of-class customer service 24/7. Currently, seniors with Cigna dental plans can enjoy $0 in-network preventive care.
- Solstice: This is the first dental insurance provider to offer seniors an “Implant Service” dental plan. The plan covers full or partial dental implants cost. This service is usually expensive and most people take loans to pay for it. However, Solstice’s discounts substantially reduce the amount of money subscribers must pay out of pocket for the service.
- Aetna Dental: Like Cigna, Aetna offers a range of plans for individuals and groups with low premiums and no deductibles. For instance, Aetna’s DMO plans come with no deductible and cover preventive and basic care with in-network dentists. On the other hand, their PPO coverage allows subscribers to visit licensed dentists without referrals. You can also check the company’s indemnity plans, which offer reimbursement for dental work with licensed dental service providers.
Dental insurance is an essential part of senior health and should not be ignored. These budget-friendly insurance plans will ensure seniors don’t struggle to afford regular dental visits, cleanings, and other preventive care.
Generally, dental insurance costs anywhere from $15 – $50 every month. That’s a small price to cover, especially for those saving on other treatments and care they might need.
Investing in dental insurance can save you money on dental services you need. Also, you will enjoy peace of mind, knowing your oral health is protected. Just find an affordable insurance plan that meets your needs and budget.